Work-related technology interestsXtranormal/Tellagami provides a platform for the creation and distribution of 3D animated stories and movies.
- Unity 3D, as a platform for providing high-quality customizable stories in real-time on mobile devices.
- HTML5 canvas, video, audio, and WebGL APIs and associated higher-level wrappers. High-quality audio synchronization remains elusive.
- Phonegap and other technologies which can help address the high costs of multi-platform software development in the mobile space.
- Text-to-speech (TTS or voice synthesis) is an important part of how Xtranormal tells stories
- Using Twisted, event loop I/O, and Python, built a lightweight but highly-available batch-job distribution system supporting both Linux and Windows for Xtranormal/Tellagami text-to-speech and video rendering
- Learning CoffeeScript by implementing canvas simple swarm visualizations
- Reading Go language articles. I haven't written any code yet, but I'd like to track ecosystem developments.
- Update of home page from Rails 2 to Rails 3 (just started over to relearn the framework), with an update to HTML5 and a tuned asset pipeline.
Standing projects and interests
- Family, friends, hobbies, chillin'
- "PIM" (Personal Information Management) software, tools, and processes
- OSAF (Open Source Applications Foundation) board president, Chandler Hub service operations
- Very many employer-related projects, clients, and initiatives
- XenCD, a bootable CD with multiple light distributions to demo and test early Xen-based virtualization
- perl packrats. I named the CPAN.
Goodsearch (current), Xtranormal/Tellagami, Xmarks, Open Source Applications Foundation (OSAF), Digital Impact (Acxiom), Organic Online, Harvey Mudd College, Stanislaus School District
Organic client roster
Engineering lead: Home Depot, National Computer Systems, Sony Electronics, California State Automobile Association (AAA) (3 years as lead engineer), LucasFilm (Star Wars rerelease), McDonald's, US Healthcare/Intellihealth, DAT Transportation Services, Organic Store, Organic Timetracker, Montgomery Securities
Direct oversight: Nike (twice), Blockbuster, Nortel, Rx.com, Hard Rock, Law.com, Lucy.com, Feld Entertainment (Ringling Brothers), Textbooks.com, Women.com, Intel, Acco, Kengsington, Daytimer, Formica, Kinko's
Participation: Levis, Harley Davidson, Rational Software, Starbuck's, PalmPilot/3Com, Colgate, Kimberly Clark, HomeGrocer, Kinko's, BigBook, Millicent, Esalen, Symantec, Scoop!
Accountable: Ad Auction, AGC, Macy's, Washington Mutual, Sony Playstation; every client engagement that involved engineering from Dec 1997 to Mar 2000
Business development leads: Many; at least 100. Notables: Radio Shack, Autodesk, Dockers, Enron.
Other clientsSoftware development: Intransa, Trillium, Beyond Interactive
Management consulting: KnowNow, Richard Kozloff, Hypnotic Realities, ESOSS
Technical management: Mackenzie River Partners, Presidio Labs, Soapbox Marketing
Systems administration: Intransa, Grey Global, Mentis Group, Release2
Volunteer: OSAF, Chandler Hub, spore.org